Jacob has an odd conversational quirk (which is starting to bug me.) Rather than asking a question, he'll make a statment followed by "Right, Mom?"
No: "Can you see that building over there?" Instead: "You can see that building over there. Right, Mom?"
No: "Are we going to meet Kaden there?" Instead: "We're meeting Kaden there. Right, Mom?"
Sometimes, this also comes into the conversation as reassurance of a statment.
No: "Hey, it's snowing!" Instead: "Look outside, it's snowing! Am I right, Mom?"
Yesterday, he said some form of "Right, Mom?" 4 times in the 10 minute car ride to karate. I asked him why he says it so much and he said this: "well, I can't say it at school, so I have to say it to you."
Is this a quirk? A phase? Is he seeking reassurance?.... does he just want to always be correct?... is it simply to make sure that I'm still paying attention to the conversation?
Or is this some form of Northern-speak and we're just substituting "right, mom?" for "eh?"
"Look it's snowing, eh?"
2 comments:
I'm sorry I said anything about it. Maybe you wouldn't have noticed this "quirk" if I hadn't mentioned it. I'm wondering why he can't say it at school. Did he say it to his teacher a thousand times and she banned the phrase? It is cute though, at least to somebody who doesn't have to deal with it umpteen times a day! Right?
No - we'd noticed it before. And actually he only did it once today - so perhaps me saying something about it on Tuesday had a positive impact. Now - if that only worked with whining.....
Post a Comment