Sunday, October 26, 2008

Zoo Boo

Yesterday was a busy day. It started with a swimming lesson disaster. It was the last lesson of the session, which was safety day. We were running late (and later when I realized that I'd forgotten to put Astro back inside). Brian took the kids in while I parked the car, and when I got in, Brian was in the kiddy pool area and Jacob was refusing to get in the water. Given that Brian was in with him and I was out (thus presumably unaffiliated with him) - I got the opportunity to overhear two other parents commenting on how we must have enrolled him before he was ready and if we'd started him at 6 months in the parent child lesson (like they did with their precious little fishes) we wouldn't have this problem. (No contradiction at all in those two opinions :). Of course, it took about all the restraint I had to not say "well, I guess you guys are just lucky that your little angels are perfect." But I later walked in to help Brian out and hopefully just made them feel a little like a**es. It's not like Jacob has refused to get in the pool at any lesson prior to this one.

Brian and Jacob eventually ended up sitting in the waiting area while Allison finished her lesson. Then when we went to get dressed, Jacob started screaming because he didn't get his swimming lesson and he wanted in the pool. Sorry buddy - too late. He screamed all through the changing, all through Allison changing, and all the way out to the car. So Brian and Allison got to explore the farmer's market, go to the library, and Jacob and I went home. We read a Thomas book, all was well with the world, and we picked up Brian and Allison later. Perhaps his swimsuit was in a knot - who knows.

Then we watched Illinois screw up a game against Wisconsin.

After that it was into our costumes and off to the Earth Science Museum on campus, which was having a Halloween event (which was free to UW affiliates). It was a good thing it was free because I would have been disappointed if we'd paid for it. The kids did make Halloween bracelets, which was about the only thing to do. Perhaps it's because the kids have been to the museum about 20 times before, so they aren't as enamored with the displays themselves.



Finally, we drove up to Green Bay to do Zoo Boo, which was a lot of fun, but expensive. The lions were out and pacing up and down the fence, and that was neat. The bobcat was hunting something in the tree, and there was a hay bale maze that Jacob really liked. Allison didn't have her Cinderella costume yet, but given the great abundance of dress-up clothes, she went as a ballerina fairy. Jacob was a dinosaur.

No comments: