Wednesday, October 22, 2008

On the road

I drove to Green Bay on Monday. After years of commuting to Madison from Fond du Lac (and passing the time by chatting on the phone), I find that I have a nearly pavlovian (?) desire to talk on the phone when I drive. Yes, I know, it's a terrible habit.

But what I really discovered is that electronics have taken over our cars. The van has two cigarette lighters, which when we bought it (a whopping 3 years ago) seemed like a great thing. We can charge a phone while also listening to satellite radio!

Now, there is always something that could be plugged in that's not. There is the phone (and long car rides always seem like a good time to charge a phone), the ipod (because really, the radio sucks - and we got rid of the satellite radio a while ago), and now a GPS.

What was also a little funny about the GPS is that I let it navigate me to my destination without paying too much attention (I was listening to Wait Wait on ipod), but then I also had to use it to get home because I was paying so little attention that I couldn't backtrack. Somehow, I find this kindof sad and a little scary.

No comments: