Saturday, October 4, 2008

One month

We all feel like this:



So last month flew by. It's October already! Not that I'm counting down. Not that we're 1/3 of the way through the semester. No, not counting down at all.

Here's an update. Last weekend I took my LEC100 (freshman) class on their retreat. Thank God that's done. After having all three classes for the weekend (not by myself), I now have proof that my students are dysfunctional. But most had fun. Kristin and Joy are planning for next year (which we just got partially funded) but I'm not quite there yet.

Brian stayed home with the kids for the weekend and then brought them up to Lakewood (where the camp was), dropped Allison off to ride back on the bus with me, and then headed to Traverse City, MI with Jacob to meet Bruce and Sue for a little fishing time. Jacob caught a few fish. I heard it was rainy but very relaxing.

Allison and I enjoyed a few days of "girl time" and went shopping and out for bagels. (Seriously, I'm pretty sure that we haven't gone grocery shopping in about 6 weeks.) The CSA brings us fresh produce every week and we go from there.

Today, Brian was home again with the kids, as I took my GLG101 students on their field day. This time I made them bring rock hammers and their field guides. I think it went a little better than just me pointing things out to them. It was still a long day. Brian said the kids did well in swimming lessons this morning, with Allison having a very good paying attention day. We have a meeting with her teachers tomorrow to discuss her goals for the year and perhaps wrangle a little more aide time too.

For those who didn't get a last minute call from us regarding a health history information, Allison saw a geneticist the other week. We didn't expect much info and didn't really get much info, but they're going to run a standard chromosome picture and see if anything looks weird. They did measure her head 4 times (twice by the nurse and twice by the doctor), it's like a medical mystery head. We'll hear back in a few weeks, but the doctor said that honestly they probably wouldn't find anything. Process of elimination.

Jacob has stopped screaming when we drop him off at school. He has a lot of friends. His best friend most days is Elizabeth. Last year it was Gillian. I guess he likes the girls (though I believe there are more girls than boys there). Jacob has been the morning stinker lately, getting us up at 6am sharp,with Allison usually making it to 6:15 or 6:30 (or in rare form - we had to wake her up at 7:20am on Friday).

Anyway, here are some more pictures.

Allison in her karate outfit (and new glasses - they fit!).



We had a fun weekend at the Dells with our friends Cyndi, Corey, Andy and Josh. Jacob loved the waterslides most of all (once he dared go down them). Most were bigger than this, but this is the one I have a picture of.



And Brian made bacon from scratch. (this was August, but I haven't posted this before)

No comments: