So, I said there might be a post about uncool things at Jacob's new school. And it's not even about singing! It's about the "No Waste Lunches." What's a no waste lunch? Exactly what it sounds like.... your child finishes eating at and has nothing to throw away.
So why is this bad? Um, let me list the things that I like to put in kids lunches that I cannot put in Jacob's lunch or send as a snack:
Gogo Squeeze (or other applesauce containers)
Individual yogurts or gogurt (a gogurt that is pre-frozen is still nice and cool at lunch time)
Granola bars
Fruit cups
Packs of cheese & crackers
Nutella dip cups
All terrible crap processed food..(?).... Actually, it's usually the relatively healthier stuff that I buy pre-packaged because it's easier to grab a go-go squeeze and throw in the lunch than to cut up other fruit. Typically it's either go-go squeeze or skip the fruit. I'm all about 'easy' in the morning and Jacob is not a fan of cut up veggies.
Also, when I do buy in bulk and then pare it down for the meal, there's a "no ziploc baggie" rule. I have cheese + crackers and I have to put it in some type of snap-lid reusable package that may or may not come home at the end of the day (Jacob had 6 in his desk at one point). Given that those little gladware containers are not that robust to begin with, get lost, accidentally thrown out, or left a school long enough that they've now molded and are unhealthy to reuse - I'm not sure the actual quantity of plastic "consumed" is less than if I were to just send them in ziplocs. Yes, there are other alternatives (like glass), but you think I'd send a kid to school with glass in their backpack? - yeah, no.
I've complained to other parents who then follow up with "yes, but if I think about it, my child's lunches and snacks are mostly waste free anyway." Yeah - key word mostly. It's getting rid of the 1-2 things that you send regularly that's the biggest pain in the butt (like granola bars and gogo squeeze). It doesn't seem like such a hassle until you have to implement it 100% of the time. And I resent the feeling that I'm being forced into a "make it all from scratch / why don't you have enough time to cut up some strawberries in the morning" situation. Because I don't. Because it's not a priority for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment