Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Breaking up with the therapist

So, I think it might be over.  Our relationship with the therapist, that is.  It's been almost a year since we got this current therapist; more than a year since we lost the good therapist.  I think I'm ready for a break.  And I'm not even going to pretend "it's not her it's me."  Because - it's totally her.

Granted, I LIKE the therapist.  She's nice.  She's energetic.  She's willing to play hide and seek.  Allison loves her.  But, sometimes love is not enough. 

She's young.  She's inexperienced.  She doesn't push, and what's the point of therapy if you aren't doing at least a little pushing?  Therapy should take a little of the hard work off the shoulders of the parents.  There is an added benefit of the outsider's perspective.  If you don't have those things, why bother?  You're just sucking up two nights of my week that could be better spent doing other things.  The most recent goal you've added - "cleaning up her room," which seems to be part skill building, part dig at what we allow for room status; but mostly just Not-Our-Top-Priority.

I recently found a new social group for autism spectrum kids aged 7-10 in the Appleton area.  I'm now on the mailing list.  I want to find someone to teach us sign language (I think a kinesthetic language would help her).  I want to investigate doing the program at the horse stables that she's visited during day camp the last two years. 

We need a change.  Play therapy and social stories are not working anymore.  Maybe it's a little bit "me."  But now, I just need to tell her. 

No comments: