We finally got all of Allison's blood work back. I think it's fine. I say I think, because we got a letter full of combinations of letters and numbers with virtually no explanation of what they mean. We were capable of reading a few that said "normal" and then a few more that gave a number with a "reference range" (although sometimes those reference ranges seemed exceptionally large - like you scored a 1000 and most people are between .0001 and 1000000).
There was one value that was notably low and that was IGF-1. However, IGF-BP5 was normal. And no, I'm not going to tell you what that means - google it - just like I had to.
I get that when you run a series of blood tests and they mostly come out fine; there is no need for a detailed explanation. Something like "The following values fell within normal ranges:" then list values with ranges. But if there is something that's off - it would be beneficial to have more than a "this was low." So..... low means what? Low concerned? Low "keep an eye on it"? Low, but that could totally have been a fluke?
And, yes, in the age of the internet it did not take me too long to figure out what it was or what it meant. But I also am a rational, educated person, who can sift through wikipedia and make some sense of it. (Or at least - I am more-or-less one of those things). I imagine a fair number of people don't know and either stew about the results or call the office back; when their fears could have been assuaged with a short "we're comfotable waiting and testing again in 4 months" or "we'll discuss further steps at your next appointment in ____."
Anyway, Allison LOVES banana-flavored Ensure ($8.99 for 4 - if anyone sees Ensure coupons, please send my way). Her snack of Ensure plus jiffy chocolate peanut butter and pretzels netted her about 600 calories yesterday afternoon.
As for Jacob - he has his very own, special canister of Ovaltine. LOL.
No comments:
Post a Comment