Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Get a boy to read

The kids' school has a program with the local minor league baseball team.  The kids read 150 minutes every two weeks, and at the end of 8 weeks they get tickets to a baseball game with a coupon for a free hot dog and soda.  To say that this has been motivational for Jacob would be a mild understatement.  They started last Friday - he's read over 360 minutes since then.  6 hours!

He came into our room at 5:30am on Monday with a stack of books asking how long he could read before school.  (I made him go to sleep until at least 6am).  He has a "reading" station set up downstairs and asks to stay up later to read in bed.

Hum..... I think this theory can be continued.  I have no problem shelling out money for baseball (or hockey or whatever) games if it means 10 hours of reading books for it.

1 comment:

Michael said...

If he reads enough to justify a Brewers game let me know.