We have 5 large (LARGE - like 60-80 ft) cottonwoods in a strand between our house and our neighbors. Some people around the block happened to have some guys out to cut down 15 comparably large cottonwood trees today from their yard because they got concerned following the large storms that we've had this summer. So, I asked the guy to come around and give us an estimate for taking down our cottonwood trees. It was very reasonable.
So, I'm pro-ing and con-ing the trees. Pro - shade, privacy. Con - cotton, sticky pods, branches (see pic from earlier), the potential to fall on the house, the need to disassemble the pool filter twice a summer, the fouling of the air conditioner, and the moss on the roof. And one is rotting at the base.
Conscience - can I really take down 5 trees that have been there longer than we have? Then, what do we put in their place? Finally - would I rather have granite countertops? I don't like spending money on landscaping. This explains a lot about our yard.
1 comment:
Difficult choice because the countertops are nice. I grew up with cottonwood trees around us and I hate the things. They are super messy and there's a good chance they'll go over in a storm and cause major damage to the house. Actually, the sooner you get them down the sooner you can put in trees that will grow to give you the shade you want without the pitfalls of the cottonwoods.
Post a Comment