Thursday, July 29, 2010

It'd be easier with Jesus

Dave Berry once said something to the effect that people who share their religious views with you rarely want you to share yours with them.

The kids have been full of questions lately. Questions about life and death, where babies come from and how people got to be on Earth. I try to answer the questions the best that I can - with the occasional bow out of "let's discuss that later." Today we got into evolution - which I realize that I have an understanding of but there are a few steps between "ocean full of algae" and "chimps to humans" that are missing from my version.

I also have a very nuanced ...?... view of religion. As in, I'm not in the "God Made The World, Heaven and Earth" camp. I certainly won't deny the possibility that God exists. I have a healthy appreciation for the beauty of the world, and a fascination with how it seems to be simultaneously so delicate and robust. It's simply amazing. But I don't at all subscribe to the church kind of worship God, or the "my way or the highway," black and white kind of religion. (note that I do not think *all* kinds of religions or religious people fall into that category).

The thing is - that kind of view does provide an abundance of easy answers (at least easy when you're under 10 - probably less easy as you get older). Example: how did people get on Earth? Me: well, many many many many years ago the world was mostly ocean and there was algae..... long story.... (insert frogs).... and now people live on Earth. Alternative explanation: God put us here.

This plays out repeatedly... what happens when you die? What happens when the cat dies? Why do people have babies? Where were we before we were in your tummy? Why can't I smoosh that ant?

Some people will argue that perhaps the simplest explanation is the best. However, 30+ years of asking myself what I believe and I can't simply give the kids the easy answer. I don't know why not. Eventually they will get old enough to make up their own minds about the ways of the world regardless of what I tell them now. I also know that some constructs are not easily dismantled and for whatever reason, I just can't.

So, the kids should prepare for some long stories sprinkled with a healthy dose of "you know what.... I don't know."

No comments: