I went to use some Kohl's "cash" yesterday (which is a huge scam, but that's another post for another day), but ended up with a $2 balance. I decided I could pay the $2 with cash, rather than using the credit card. We've had a pro-credit card philosophy for years which includes charging whenever possible; never carrying a balance; and reaping the benefits of whatever bonus plan our credit card uses. This is why we own a lot of Sony products and I never know where the checkbook is. Also, not carrying cash means I'm less tempted to buy things like.... say.... a mocha at Starbucks.
But increasingly, I'm visiting the ATM for cash. Summer is farm market season; and many stalls don't take plastic. So, that's a big money sink each week. Then there are babysitters. This weekend we had a sitter last night and another this afternoon. It will probably total 12 hours of babysitting (which is a little unusual, but the kids can now stay home for short periods on their own - the only time we get sitters is when we'll be out late or gone long.... which equals more $$).
And finally, there are the tax dodgers. Our cleaning lady prefers to be paid in cash because "if she deposits too many checks in one month, she has to pay a fee" which may in fact be true; but I don't think it's the primary reason she wants cash. In September, Jacob will switch to another new piano teacher (current one opted not to renew lease on her studio) who prefers payment in cash as well.
If I had a better plan; I'd get all the necessary cash once a month and then divvy it up in envelopes so that it stayed out of my wallet and therefore out of Starbucks coffers. But I don't have that much forethought, and so it's back to the ATM.
No comments:
Post a Comment