Friday, October 25, 2013

4th grade math

Well, more reasons to like Jacob's school - he's been advanced a grade in math!

It started when we had parent teacher conferences the other week and I asked Jacob if there was anything I should talk with Mrs. Thomas about.  He said that he wanted me to talk to her about 4th grade math.  His class is a 3/4 split, and there were a few third graders who do math with the 4th graders; and a few 2nd graders who come in for 3rd grade math.

So, we did bring it up and his teacher thought it was a good idea.  So, she gave him the 4th grade beginning of the year inventory test, and other than geometry, he did pretty well.

Once he actually passed the test and was granted the ability to move into 4th grade math; Jacob got cold feet.  He was concerned that all his friends would be in 3rd grade math (omg, so worried about peer pressure with this one) and wanted a few days "to think about it."  So, we didn't say much and gave him a day to ponder it, after which he was 70% sure he wanted to be in 4th grade math.  But on the morning that he needed to decide, he was still waffling.

So, I gave him a strong mom-nudge; explaining how he would get to be a grade ahead from now on, it was an opportunity not available to him at his old school, and all the other wonderful things that will come along with getting ahead in math.  Long pause..... "Ok, I'll do it."

And then I sent the e-mail off to his teacher before he had the chance to change his mind... lol.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Well, good. I'm glad he's going to get a chance to move ahead. He just has SUCH a mathematical, logical mind. Once he gets acclimated to the new group, he will find that he just "fits" with that group. And he'll gain a lot more confidence. Glad he didn't back out of the opportunity.