Friday, August 24, 2012

What I want in a babysitter

We are training what (I hope) is our last round of babysitters.  Every few years, I start with some new 7th-8th graders and they finally get good about the same time that (a) they get a license so I don't have to drive them home, and (b) they get a license so they have other things to do besides babysit.

But my list of requirements is pretty simple and I'm not particularly picky.  Here are some things that have happened in the past and I've still had the babysitter back:

- they put a diaper on backwards (two different people did this)
- the dog is pink
- one child suddenly has a mullet


And, granted, none of those things THRILL me - but it happens.  However, there is a separate list that bugs me more.  Perhaps because it's filled with things that fall into the category of "you are kindof an employee of mine and I am paying you for more than being a body in the house who can call 911 if necessary."  This list includes:

- half-eaten containers of food in random rooms
- dishes left in the same place they were used
- toys and games with pieces scattered around the floor, even though the kids have been in bed for 2 hours
- your facebook account open on my iPad


So to any future babysitters, here's the short list of getting on my good side:

1) the house should be as clean as it was when I left.  There is some flexibility provided here to daytime babysitters who are playing games when I get back.  If the kids are sleeping - the toys should be picked up.  You can have them do it, if not - you should do it.  I give you a pass on anything that was out when you arrived - but there are bonus points for picking those up too.

2) put dishes in the sink.  The dishwasher would be even better - but at the very least, dump out the leftovers and move the dishes to the counter.

3) don't use the computer / iPad / etc.  Chances are you have a cell phone with you anyway.  If you have some downtime once the kids are in bed - use your OWN electronic devices. 

4) Use logic when the kids ask for thing and PLEASE don't call me unless it's an emergency.  Can the kids play wii?  You know what - you decide - if I didn't give you directives when I left - I don't care.  Should the kids have 5 desserts?  Um - again - think logically and chances are you're the one putting them to bed - so whatever.  I don't need to be involved in these decisions.  I'm enjoying a night out and/or working and/or in a meeting.  Would your parents let YOU do it?  Let that be your guide.

5) if you want to impress me - bring something with you to do with my kids.  It shows that you've thought about this in advance, you're prepared, and you plan to spend your time interacting with the kids.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Ha ha - at the risk of being repetitive, just three words: Grandma and Grandpa! Move to Springfield and you've got free babysitting whenever you want it!!!

Oh well, I had to try!