So, there is to be homework this year for Allison (last year, there wasn't much - math worksheets and reading books). There will also be spelling tests. Maybe.
The note that came home at parent night said that each Monday the students would write the spelling words in their notebooks and then the test would be Friday. I guess this also started on Day 1 (Wednesday). I think. Allison did not have any spelling words in her assignment notebook. She did have a few drawings of fairies. Thursday afternoon at pickup I was talking to the other moms and learned there were spelling words - though each kid had their own story. One did not bring home the notebook, but said there was a test. One wrote 1/2 the words. One had all the words and insisted there was a test.
Thursday night, Allison still had no words and was very vague on the possibility of a test. So I'm thinking that either (1) the teacher is waiting for the "natural consequence" of being unprepared for the test - thus leading the kids to "get with the program" so to speak in the next week or two, or (2) as part of Allison's IEP she's not participating in the spelling tests. I don't know. I DO know that being unprepared for a spelling test is NOT motivation for Allison and that she may struggle with spelling because she struggles with being able to visualize things that aren't there. So, hopefully, she doesn't fall too far behind before getting it.
It's also a tricky situation because I don't want to be that parent that steps in too soon or to inappropriately: "What! My kid missed one spelling list! Why didn't YOU write it down for her!"
On the other hand, I want to know what's going on (and Allison is particularly vague about what goes on at school). So I figure if she misses this coming week's spelling list too, I'll send an e-mail asking if she should have spelling words or not - and go from there.
I am impressed with how much her reading skills have improved this summer. For bed now - she's reading me books that have a couple paragraphs on each page. Pretty cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment