Friday, September 3, 2010

Uno Pizza

On day 1 - the kids come home with fundraiser info. That's a whole post in an of itself. Like - Day 1? Really? Welcome to school! Here, go sell stuff!

And then the fundraisers themselves suck - Entertainment Books and Sally Foster gift certificates. The school sends home an Entertainment book that you are suggested to either buy or sell - but please don't return it. OK, but then they sent home TWO. One for each kid. And who wants a Sally Foster gift certificate?? Why can't I just donate $25? Which, I guess I could but now I'm annoyed with the PTO - so probably won't.

Then finally there was Market Day, which if you don't know what it is - it's kindof like Schwanns with a kickback to the schools. Frozen meals - whoo-hoo! Another way to give money to the school, and oh by the way, don't forget to save your boxtops.

Day 1. Day 1.....

Anyway, the second problem (other than me being annoyed) was that Jacob was very excited that he got "a coupon for a game of Uno" at school. He wanted to go get his Uno game on Wednesday afternoon. When we got home, I realized it wasn't a coupon for an Uno game, but a coupon for Uno's pizza - if you buy the Entertainment Guide. Jacob was very upset to hear this news. (why my 5-yr old doesn't know the name of what used to be my favorite pizza place is probably testament to how our eating habits have changed since we lived in Madison). So I promised him Uno Pizza on Friday (today) so that he could use his coupon, even though it means at least one full night of indigestion.

Luckily, Brian has a $25 gift certificate for Uno's that he got last year for being in a focus group, so we don't have to buy the Entertainment Guide. As much as I complained about the cost of spring soccer - at least you did have a fundraiser buyout option.

Next post - "To spell or not to spell" the question of spelling tests....

5 comments:

Brian said...

Actually, I've had the gift card for over 2 years. Understandably so. With a $5 off coupon, and a $25 gift certificate, we got 2 kids meals, an appetizer and an individual pizza, (Jamie and I just drank water) and it still cost more than $12 out of pocket. If not for the coupons, that's over $40. Are you kidding me? I can think of better ways to spend $40 dollars.

Brian said...

And why do I have to type a word verification to leave a comment?

Brian said...

I guess since we had the coupons it only cost us $12, but I'm certainly not in a hurry to head back now that the coupons are gone.

Sue said...

So, here's an idea. If you need money to pay for the fundraiser stuff, have your own little fundraiser. Give your kids a bunch of carrots from your fridge and send them door-to-door to sell carrots to the neighbors. That's what we did.

The word verification wouldn't be so bad if I could read it half the time. Why do they put letters on top of letters till you can't tell what they are? And I'm already signed in so obviously I'm a person - I think.

Michelle said...

My thoughts on Fundraisers -

I don't think the schools should turn children into little tax collectors!