Over the week, I've been feeling like I am supposed to be doing something, but can't figure out what it is. Partially, there really are things that I am supposed to be doing and have forgotten, but I think that it is also related to a minor activity slump at the beginning of this week as we transition winter to spring extra-curriculars.
Kids activities continue to perplex me. On the one hand, I think we start our kids too early and specialize them too soon. One of my friends' sons is in wrestling - which was one of those sports that seemed firmly rooted in high school. Like, you could have no previous experience and join the squad at age 14. But then there was an article in the local newspaper about how coaches now no longer coach teams, they develop "programs." They are expected to identify and develop young talent so that kids are further ahead by the time they get to the point that they would actually need to be "coached." The wrestling program for 7-yr olds is put on by the high school coaches to introduce kids to the sport and get them excited about doing it later. When you get down to it - is that different than soccer, baseball, or football?
And then too many of us parents sit around and lament the hectic schedules and nightly ballet that is managing the extras for more than one kid. Allison wants to stick with swimming and girl scouts, Jacob wants karate and soccer. I want them to learn piano (and to that end am now on several month long waiting list for a recommended piano teacher). Why do we do it?
Then the kids and I have a few days without "activities." We're off our routine. Give our kids a little bit of free time and you may end up with a basket of flowers on the table - or you may end up with expo markers on the wall. Too often unscheduled time in our house equates to kids getting into things they shouldn't be in. Like the 15 sticky notes on the back door. Like a pile of stuffed animals in the dog crate and the dog crate pieces in the closet. Ok - to be fair - those were all from the same kid.
Then I think - hum, maybe this kid needs more structured activities. Let the ballet begin.....
No comments:
Post a Comment