Saturday, April 10, 2010

Karate

Jacob finished his first session of karate and earned his next belt. He wanted to sign up next time again, and so is his friend Dominic.



Jacob also wanted to quit swimming lessons for a session. This seems to be OK because soccer is starting and he has preschool story hour at the elementary school for 4 weeks in April-May. He's a busy, busy kid.

On the note of soccer - we signed up for the him to play in the Appleton Soccer Club. It's kindof the "league du jour" for a lot of people around (at least what I gathered via the grapevine when Allison played Park and Rec in the fall). I am not impressed. They seem primarily concerned with making money. Money for what - I'm not sure. We signed up back in October in order to save $20 on the registration fee ($55 rather than $75). Then we were required to either sell 30 geraniums at $3.75 each or do a "buy out" for $30. We opted for the $30. Then you have to donate at least 3 volunteer hours (one choice is to work the consession stand on Saturdays - when the U5 league is Monday nights). If you don't - again, you can buy out your hours.

Now I do like the set up of the U5 league - which is that the kids meet, practice with a "trainer" for a half hour and then play games for another half hour. It's all contained in one hour per week - which is perfect for this age. But then, given that parents have to volunteer to facilitate (e.g. referree), the only thing really provided by the soccer club itself is a field and a trainer for 1/2 hour - $75 + $30 + ? seems like a lot to pay.

I think if Jacob likes it, then we'll seek out a different league next year. I believe the YMCA in Sherwood and in Greenville both have spring soccer programs for about 1/2 the price. They may not be the pipeline to future soccer stardom - but that's fine by me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: