Thursday, December 10, 2009

The limit of my altruism

Yesterday, we shoveled ourselves out of the blizzard snows. It took us until about 2pm. We borrowed a snowblower from our neighbor to handle the 12 inches of snowfall. I still took 3 hours of work. Too bad it's too fricking cold to enjoy it today.

By afternoon, things were looking better and Allison and I headed to Walmart at 4pm for our shift at Salvation Army bell-ringing. The booth was supposed to be heated, but the heater wasn't working. Also, the booth was facing directly into the wind. At first, Allison was very excited. She rang and rang and sang Jingle Bells. That lasted approximately 10 minutes of the two hours.

We passed the time, and let me say that Walmart blizzard shoppers are not the most generous shoppers ever. Although one woman was so nice, she went to her car and returned with stickers for Allison to have after her shift.

About 40 minutes in and the sun went down, the wind picked up, and it started to snow. The manager of Walmart got our heater working, but it was too little, too late. We slugged it out until we got to an hour - and then had to call it quits. I feel a little badly for not making it the whole time, but we did bell ring for an hour in a blizzard. Apparently, I found the limit of our altruism.

1 comment:

Sue said...

You did more than many of us do.