Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Subterfuge

I'll admit, all our parenting strategies are not perfect. (shocking!) However, sometimes you employ a flawed plan because it produces results. One of the things we will do can be called "the race." "The race" essentially pits the kids against the adult (or sometimes each other) in the great events of - putting on shoes - going to the bathroom - getting in pj's - or going up the stairs.

Today, I noticed that the kids were employing strategies of their own. During the "who can put their shoes on first" event - Allison took Jacob's shoe and placed it just out of reach, something I found slightly amusing if only because she's never done that before. But after the Power Shower (more to come on that), the kids were supposed to put their pj's on before I did. This led to first - the Naked Kid Hallway Collision, and second - Jacob's attempt to steal first place by shoving Allison's pj's as far under his bed as he could while she was distracted by a twist in her underwear.

We also had an anatomy lesson this evening. I took both kids in the shower with me (otherwise termed the Power Shower from a woman I used to work with a B&V who employed this to get 4 children bathed in short order). Jacob was - um - exploring his "belly button" while waiting to get in - upon which I informed his of the correct anatomical term which prompted Allison to search for hers. Most amazing may be that this subject hasn't come up yet in any broad sense. I've never been one to give things cutsy names like "that's your wee wee" but the kids have never really questioned their anatomy or anatomical differences. So we had a discussion about the fact that only boys had them and girls did not - though Allison did put up a short insistence that hers was in there somewhere. Sorry kiddo - no peeing standing up for you.

2 comments:

Peg said...

Freud would be so pleased!

Sue said...

I'm so glad this discussion did not come up a few days earlier.