Thursday, February 5, 2015

3 days

We have three days to convince Allison she wants to go to camp.  Good luck to us.  :)

Our kids are going off to camp this summer.  Each one a week.  Without us.  Jacob is super excited to go to the YMCA camp and probably equally excited that his cousin Paddy is going with him.  He's full of logical kid-camp questions, like "Where will we sleep?  How big is the lake?  Do we get to fish?  Do we get to swim? Are there bathrooms?"

Allison, OTOH, is full of reasons why camp is a terrible, terrible idea. "I don't want to go.  I'll miss you.  I'll miss the cat. I don't have room in my life for any more friends."  Her camp would be for kids with disabilities that are specifically social needs - like Asperger's, ADHD, or high-functioning autism.  She has to interview for a spot in the camp, and the interview is Sunday.

Mostly, she probably has the exact same concerns Jacob has because it's a new experience and she has no context for it.  However, where Jacob throws his concerns into the Grand New Adventure category; Allison has thrown hers into the Massive Source of Anxiety category.

So, we're pushing her a little. Twelve year olds can go to camp.  They can be independent and meet new people and get outside their comfort zone and it's OK.  Reassure me.  Then reassure her.

No comments: