So, I need to find a week this summer when "not much is going on" to take Allison off her ADHD medications. Preferably this week will be early in the summer so that we have time to try out new medications before the school year starts. That is - if taking her off the medications lessons the OCD-ish habits that she has that we're trying to figure out how to redirect. Our directive has been to take her off medication for a week, see if the bad habits disappear, if they do - put her back on the medication and see if they reappear.
So the potential weeks in June are:
(1) the last week of school (ha - that would almost be worth it!)
(2) the week with an orthodontist appointment and the first day of gardening camp (the most likely week)
(3) the week that Kellen is visiting and Allison wants to do ninja camp with the boys.
(4) the week that I'll be at the ASEE conference.
We frequently low-ball the dose over the weekend (mostly to get her to eat more), and day 1 is always fine. Day 2 sans medication is almost always a disaster. I believe then that the two possibilities are that day 3 would be like day 2 - the "new plateau" so to speak (I might be able to survive 6 "day 2's"); or that day 3 would follow the trendline between days 1 and 2 and I'd be pulling my hair out by day 4.
I'm sure the blog will be full of exciting posts that week!
No comments:
Post a Comment