Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Flu shots

The kids had a half day today.... so naturally it was the perfect time for flu shots. 

We were greeted by a cadre of nurses.  Like - 6.  I thought maybe they'd seen the notes from past years and just sent in extras.  Actually, it was a class of nursing assistants from the tech college.

Allison pipes up "I'll go first!" and up she goes.  She said she was a little nervous, but she handled it well.  Until they gave her the shot - and then she couldn't stop talking about how much it hurt.  Especially to Jacob.  "Jacob, that really, really hurt." (she says as she bounces around the room with her new pencil and sticker.)

Mom went next.  I had mine in the arm, which according to the nursing assistants is the most painful place to get it (leg is better, butt is best).  After a short discussion upon which I decided no one wanted to view my rear end - I went for arm.  Wow - it did hurt.  And I felt a little lightheaded.  But I knew there would absolutely no shot for Jacob ever again if I passed out.  So, deep breaths and holding in the tears of pain.  Wow - it HURT.

Then Jacob's turn.  He shimmies up onto the table, and then back into the corner.  Repeating "No, no, no, no."  Try to convince.  No go.  Ok - go for the forcible route.  I pick him and position him down on the table - a maneuver which will NOT be easy to do next year, that kid is strong - another two nurse assistants hold his legs and the regular nurse pops in the shot.  Clearly not the learning opportunity it could have been. 

He lays on the table pouting and crying for a good 10 more minutes.  As we're getting ready to leave the one assistant says we should go to the lobby and wait a few minutes; when another one says "na, I think they've been in here long enough to check for a reaction."

We went home to get ice cream for our troubles (and tylenol - did I mention that it hurt?).  And Allison and I had a collision when she was getting out of the car at the same time I was opening the door.  It was a door-v-face collision and dare I say the door won.  So, ice on the face (there is really only a small mark now).  It was a great afternoon for our kids.  Heaven forbid only one of them be mad at me!!

1 comment:

Sue said...

The boys hated me the year we had all their physicals together and there was a sign about cholesterol testing and I decided that would be a good idea. They complained about it forever.

My shot was unbelievably easy. Didn't hurt a bit and no bruising or sore arm later. Hope that nurse stays with my health care office.