After the holiday leads to new subjects in school - for Allison that means multiplication and division. I'm looking forward to this for her. Why? The girl can memorize and she already knows quite a few sets from the math apps on the iPhone. Plus, she doesn't yet seem to mind me quizzing her on them. Now - the "sprint tests" in class might not be her forte - but simply the fact that she knows the material is good enough for me.
Of course, they are learning multiplication and division not just by memorizing the times tables - but applying it with WORD PROBLEMS. Seriously - I think they are overcompensating with the vast quantity of word problems these kids see in math. Everything is a word problem - except geometry. I haven't seen any geometry word problems yet. I suppose that's coming soon too.
Anyway - so Allison was working on a word problem for homework and I was explaining that while 4x5=20, and 5x4=20 were exactly the same thing - 20/5, and 5/20 gave you two totally different answers. I always use cookies and people to explain division - if you have 20 cookies and 5 people - how many would each person get - "4" says Allison. Ok, if you have 5 cookies and 20 people - would each person get 4 - "No." Ok, see - not the same.
This is the time at which Jacob pipes in "each person would get a quarter of a cookie. You just need to cut the cookies into quarters, Mom." He was - at the time - passing through the kitchen on his way somewhere else. I believe I first looked at him - dumbstruck - trying to think if he was actually correct. He was. Geez- no wonder he pitches a fit about having to color in groups of 10 fish on his math homework then count them (last night's battle). Perhaps I will have to talk with his teacher about some alternatives.
1 comment:
I just want cookies
Post a Comment