Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Variety

"Variety is the spice of life" or "Don't get stuck in a rut" or "Change is good"

I get stuck in genres. Lately, it's people who have dedicated a year of their life to some project - like reading the encyclopedia, living by the rules of the bible, making no environmental impact, or following all of Oprah's advice. But I've noticed some common themes running though these books - like variety is important and you can have too much of a good thing (i.e. too many "this is what I did with my year" books).

I've been reflecting on this sentiment especially with respect to the kids. Today, for example, the kids we're interested in the same old after school snacks (Nilla wafers and/or Scooby Snacks.) Neither was particularly high on my list as both options really qualify as "cookies" to me. Cookies on Empty Kid-stomachs lead to Headaches Later for Mom. So we took out the blender and started throwing stuff in - banana, homemade strawberry syrup, yogurt, scoop of ice cream and a dash of chocolate sauce. Man - you would have thought that I was the Best Mom Ever when the kids tasted that smoothie. "Can we have smoothies every day?!"

But the thing is that if we had smoothies every day, we'd get sick of them. They would cease to be so awe-inspiring.

I like routines - don't get me wrong - and some ruts are necessary and good - like brushing your teeth. But sometimes happiness and appreciation come from the unexpected.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Well, you ARE the Best Mom Ever whether you make smoothies or not! Wish I could have been there to taste.