Thursday, July 9, 2009

Notable Differences

Everyone says that the second child is nothing like the first. I was definitely thinking that today. We went grocery shopping and because neither is all that wonderfully behaved in the grocery store (I guess they have that in common) - I took along an "incentive." The bribe for following Mom's Rules of Public Behavior (which trust me, are pretty basic) was two suckers that I'd found while cleaning the other day (they were from St. Patrick's Day - so not too bad). At the checkout line, they earned their treats. Allison's was consumed before a single grocery item was even scanned. Jacob's was finished approximately 3 hours later - after many careful licks, and a break while he ate lunch. On the way home from IL, I believe Jacob might have answered the age old question of how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. I lost count.

After lunch we met a friend at the park. I took pop-ices to share and told the kids that we would have them in a half an hour. Jacob (the more patient one) went off to play, while Allison hung on my arm watching the minute hand of the clock go around asking every 2 minutes if it was time to eat the snacks.

On the way home we decided to turn on the sprinkler and invited two neighbor boys over to play too. While Allison, Jack (in Allison's class) and Alex (Jacob's age) ran headlong through the sprinkler - tossing around the ball - "drinking" the water - and getting thoroughly soaked - one hour later and Jacob had barely gotten his feet wet. He seemed to be enjoying himself, just from the sidelines. He prefers the quieter activities of life, while his sister is in constant motion.

Now, the real question is which traits did they inherit from me.....

No comments: