Monday, February 16, 2009

Magic number seven

This post is dedicated to Jacob. I wish I could remember every funny thing that he says - because there are lots. He was going to be an engineer when he grows up - the kind who drive trains. That was before he decided to be teacher Ann (at which point I said "a teacher, that's great" and he said "yeah, and I'm going to be a girl").

On Friday night, Jacob got the flu. Brian and I could come up with maybe 3-4 times that Jacob has thrown up in his life, and Friday night he must have tripled that number. Which, you do have to appreciate that he's old enough to know when he needs a bucket.

Saturday morning, he got to open his Valentine cards (that arrived on Friday). Grandpa B and Grandma S had enclosed a $5 bill (which the kids were extremely excited about - now that they know that money buys things like cars and fairies - and ran to put it in their piggy banks). Later that afternoon, they got a few more cards including 2 - $1 bills from Great-Grandma. Jacob studied his $2 for a minute and very excitedly announced "Now I have 7 dollars!"

Ok - so it's simply engineering parental joy that (a) he remembered that he'd gotten money earlier and that it was worth $5 and not just $1 as kids tend to do - like 1 quarter equals 1 dime because each represents one "coin," and then (b) he did the math, in his head, that he had 5 added 2 and got seven.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I'm very impressed with Jacob's throw-up prowess. His daddy was 12 (years, not months) before he knew enough to head for the bathroom or garbage can before he threw up. Aunt Joanne used to swear that I'd send him to her house every time he was going to be sick, and then she'd be picking raisins out of her shag carpet for weeks.